1960 - the institution named „Course for Foreign Students" was established in Senec, a small town near Bratislava, as a subsidiary of University of Economics in Prague.
15.09.1960 - the first academic year started, when 101 students from Africa, Latin America, Arab countries as well as Europe arrived to our country with the aim to learn the language and study at Slovak universities in order to receive a university degree.
1961 - the school was renamed as the Study Centre of University of 17th November in Prague. This university took control of the preparation of international students within all Czechoslovakia.
01.11.1968 - a new Study Centre in Čierna Hora in Eastern Slovakia was founded. It moved to Herľany a year later. It was specialized in preparing students for technical fields of study.
01.06.1984 - in accordance with the decision of the Ministry of Education an independent institution named The Institute for Language and Academic Preparation for Foreign Students of Comenius University was established in Bratislava with its study centres in Bratislava, Senec and Herľany.
- Study Centre in Herľany moved to Košice to Bellova Street No.1
1998 - Study Centre in Senec moved to Modra-Harmónia, holiday resorts not far from Bratislava.
In 1990 - following significant political and social changes in the country, UJOP:
- introduced its English language programme - preparing students for their university studies in English in medical, biological and technical fields of study
- opened Summer School - Summer Slovak Language Course
- besides providing foundation programmes UJOP is becoming the centre of teaching Slovak as a foreign language
- is extending its activities mainly in teaching Slovak as a foreign language for various target groups in courses of various intensity and duration for various purposes (one by one courses, evening classes, intensive full-time courses, etc.)